Monday, April 20, 2009

foodie memoirs

Hi people! Nice to see you again.



Just thought I'd post about a couple of great books I've read lately. The first one is Julia Child's fabulous memoir about her time in France, called My Life in France. It's a really feel-good book, and the best part is its conversational, easy-to-read tone. Also, it's got photos taken by her husband, Paul Child, an excellent photographer. I read the book last year and loved it, and have since loaned it out to two friends, both of whom have loved it.



Several weeks ago, I checked Judith Jones' The Tenth Muse out from the library. Judith Jones has worked for Knopf for decades, and was Julia Child's editor. A really interesting person and a passionate cook. For whatever reason, I didn't even look inside the thing until last week. Since then, I've been hooked! So I'd highly recommend either of these for anyone interested in food, particularly in the history of America's foodie scene.

2 comments:

Fede said...

Ciao Emily, I did love that Julia Child book, I loved when she was in Frace and having problems to digest all that sophisticated food. She was cool!

EdipisReks said...

I'll have to get my hands on a copy.